Q: engine light on for thermostat or temp sensor, EVIC falsely states engine hot due to bad thermostat, also service throttle control

I am throwing codes for either the thermostat or the temperature sensor on my 2015 chrysler 200s. Am I correct in showing that heads need to come off to replace this? Also being told that the thermostat and temperature sensor are built into the thermostat housing therefore requiring the whole housing to be replaced. The service rep at the dealership says that its a very common problem, that it does need fixed, but will be fine to wait until I get back home next week, while driving 600-750 miles to get back home. On the EVIC in the car it says that the engine is hot (falsely due to a bad thermostat), but also says to service electronic throttle control. I know ive skipped around quite a bit but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing more than one issue. It is indeed true that the thermostat and coolant sensors are built into a housing, which will require replacement of the entire housing to replace the thermostat. The sensors can, however, be removed and reused. If there is a message displayed that the engine is overheating then that could signify that the coolant temperature sensor is bad, or that the engine is actually overheating, perhaps due to a stuck thermostat. Removing the thermostat does not require removal of the cylinder head, however it does require a few components be removed in order to access the housing. If there is a message also being displayed for the throttle control system, then it is likely that the computer has detected an issue that needs to be addressed. Perhaps a fault with the throttle body unit or circuit. As it appears that your vehicle may be experiencing more than one issue, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location, to diagnose what may be causing the issues.

3. engine light on for thermostat or temp sensor, EVIC falsely states engine hot due to bad thermostat, also service throttle control