Q: I’m seeing and smelling smoke and my traction control light is on.. is this a common problem? Also my ABS light blinks on occasion

asked by on November 17, 2017

I’m seeing and smelling smoke from the sides of my hood and my traction control light is on.. is this a common problem? Also my ABS light blinks on occasionally but usually stays off. I’m not seeing any leaks but I can’t be sure. The coolant valve seems to build pressure but the actual coolant doesn’t appear to be leaking. What do you think? I just bought the car and the previous owner has no clue...

Smoke from under the hood will be oil or coolant leaks. If I had to guess, I’d say you probably have some oil leaks that are getting oil on the exhaust manifold which burns when it hits the hot surface. It’s not unusual on your car, but it shouldn’t ignored. The Traction and ABS lights are probably a separate issue. The most common cause of these lights is a bad wheel speed sensor, but it could be any number of other things. To find out you need to have the system scanned with the appropriate equipment. The generic scanners they use at the auto parts stores will not do the trick in this case. To have this checked out. Contact YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check your smoke problem and read your stored codes right there on the spot.