Q: I just jumped my sons car off and now my check engine light is on. What happened?

My son jumped his car off with my car and now my check engine light is on. I'm not sure what could have caused this. Any ideas?

A: When you jump started the other vehicle you...

When you jump started the other vehicle you may have caused a voltage surge or drop in your computer system that set a code causing the check engine light to come on. You will need a mechanic like one from YourMechanic come to you and scan the computer to see what the code is and diagnose the code. If it is a low voltage code then all the mechanic will need to do is clear the code and check your voltage at the battery to make sure nothing was damaged when you jump started the other vehicle. In the future when jump starting another vehicle do not have your vehicle running when the other vehicle is cranked over.