Q: Transmission slipping only in reverse

My car has an automatic transmission and lately it's been causing me troubles. When it is in drive in forward gears, it works fine, whereas if it is in reverse, it starts slipping. How serious is this problem? What can I do to fix it?

A: What a technician would do is first check t...

What a technician would do is first check the level and condition of the transmission fluid on your 2001 Audi A8 Quattro. Next, they would use a Volkswagen-compatable scan tool which will allow the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to be interrogated for trouble codes. Any codes that show are extremely valuable for diagnosis. An automatic transmission technician with German car experience will be able to tell if the transmission requires replacement, a new valve body, a solenoid replacement, or replacement of a faulty TCM. If you need help having this all checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose your vehicle's slipping issue.