P0020 code definition
Camshaft Position (A) Actuator Circuit (Bank 2)
What the P0020 code means
P0020 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 2 intake camshaft Oil Control Valve (OCV) has an open or short circuit. This happens during one drive cycle.
What causes the P0020 code?
- The ECM has commanded the OCV to less than 80% duty cycle and output is 100%.
- The ECM has commanded the OCV up to 70% and output is less than 3%.
- The OCV or wiring to the bank 1 exhaust camshaft may be shorted out.
- The OCV may have an open circuit or the wiring is open.
What are the symptoms of the P0020 code?
- The Check Engine Light will come on.
- The engine may have a hard start condition if OCV is shorted.
- The engine will have a reduction in fuel mileage if the OCV is shorted or open.
- The engine may run rough, hesitate or stall depending on if it has shorted or if it has an open OCV circuit.
Note: The symptoms will change depending on the camshaft position when the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system stopped working.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0020 code?
- Visually checks the electrical connectors, wiring and OCV for any problems
- Checks the computer codes then documents the freeze frame data for the code
- The vehicle is tested to see if the codes come back
- Checks OCV for correct resistance of approximately 6.9 to 7.9 ohms
- Traces and repairs any shorts or open circuits in the wiring
- Checks the system following manufacturer's pinpoint tests
Note: Follow the manufacturer's recommended pinpoint test to narrow down the problem if above checks do not narrow the problem down.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0020 code
Follow these simple guidelines to help with diagnosis to prevent mistakes:
Do a visual inspection for common problems like checking to see if electrical connectors are connected.
Check engine oil for the proper viscosity and that it is not sludged up.
Verify that failure codes are present before attempting repairs.
Always follow the manufacturer's procedures to prevent replacing good components or misdiagnosing the trouble code.
How serious is the P0020 code?
- The engine may hesitate on acceleration.
- The engine fuel consumption may get worse.
- The engine may get carbon buildup on the valves and piston rings if repairs are not done as soon as possible.
What repairs can fix the P0020 code?
- Clearing the fault codes and testing the system to verify the code
- Repairing or replacing the wiring to the intake camshaft oil control valve for bank 2
- Replacing the camshaft oil control valve for bank 2 intake camshaft
- Replacing the ECM if directed from pinpoint tests
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0020 code
The code can be caused by the OCV having an internal short circuit or an open circuit. The code may be accompanied with code P0021 or P0022.
Need help with a P0020 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.