Q: I just bought a 1991 Toyota MR2, the previous owner just replace the ignition coil and the tach and speedometer does not work.

asked by on November 30, 2016

I just bought a 1991 Toyota MR2, the previous owner just replace the ignition coil and the tach and speedometer does not work.

Speedometer is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The speedometer and tachometer being inoperative can be due to a number of reasons. If the remaining gauges are working, it’s possible that the instrument cluster itself is bad. Looking at each individually, one of the speedometer cables may be broken or disconnected, and/or the speed sensor may be bad. As for the tachometer, it’s possible a signal wire from the coil was left off or broken. Also, a common fault in this generation MR2, is one or both of the capacitors for the tachometer located within the instrument cluster bay be burned out.

Have a certified technician inspect the non-functioning speedometer and inspect the tachometer at the same time.