Q: I installed a new radio yesterday and now my car won't start.

asked by on September 03, 2016

had a friend of mine come over to help me replace a radio in my car. Everything went smoothly for the most part, only to find out now that my car won't start. Think he might have crossed some wires or something because now there is a black wire behind the dash and i don't know where to plug it into. Its black with a little tiny harness plug and i dont for the life of me know whats wrong or if that could be the issue. I jumped the battery and it still didn't start, no fuses are blown, i don't know what it could be.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The black wire behind the dash is your ground wire, which should have been connected to a bolt or screw that contacts the bare metal of the car’s chassis. If this is not connected, the stereo will not work. As for the issue of not starting, it is tough to say, but it could be possible that he may have not unhooked the battery and could have potentially shorted out something when connecting other wires. Without further detail it would be tough to diagnose. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose the starting problem and assist with repairs.