Q: I hear a loud noise upon start up but it’s only when starting for a few seconds

So I bought my 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid used in May of 2017. I have since taken it to Mataga GMC 6-7 times with no luck for the same issue. Upon starting up (not every time) it makes a squelching noise for like two seconds and it’s loud and noticeable. They can’t figure it out however I’m not sure what it could be or if u have come across this question yet. I can say that it happens if I use my automatic key fob to start it AND if I insert in ignition so both ways. It doesn’t have anything to do with driving at all and doesn’t matter what the weather is like. (Some questions I’ve been asked before).

Thank you!

Among the possible causes of the noise you are describing are a glazed or slipping serpentine (or other drive) belt and a starter motor with a pinion drive gear that is not fully and immediately retracting from the ring gear on the flex plate when you release the ignition key. There are other possibilities though. If the noise is consistent (at every start), a mechanic will be able to pinpoint the location of origin. If you desire a diagnostic, please request service using YourMechanic’s vehicle noise diagnostic service request page and the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.