Q: Shifting car to neutral before stopping in red light

I was just wondering if putting car into nuetral before stopping will be bad for the transmission . For example im going 50mph and then shifted to nuetral then just keep breaking untill stop.

A: The automatic transmission was not designed...

The automatic transmission was not designed to do this and may cause internal damage. The transmission and engine help slow the vehicle down for you and you are putting extra wear on the brakes. Automatic transmissions are not designed to be towed in neutral like a manual transmission. If you have a manual transmission then its okay to do this but keep in mind the brakes get extra wear.