Q: I have weak battery that caused me to have to be jumped every couple times started. Now it wont turn over at all. Is it starter

My battery is weak and has caused me to have to be jumped every couple times I start motor.. Now it wont turn over at all. Is it starter cylonoid? The lights are not dim I believe alternator is good and I put new battery in it and still won't even turn over

A: Hello. You are correct. There is a very str...

Hello. You are correct. There is a very strong chance that the starter has gone bad. If the solenoid is serviceable and you want to attempt to change only that, and you may be able to prolong the life of the existing starter. Most people in this situation will replace the entire starter including the solenoid. With the age of the vehicle, it is not out of the normal to have a starter wear down. You will also want to make sure that the wires from the battery to the starter are clean, dry, and tight. You can remove the starter and have it bench tested, which may be able to tell you if the solenoid is bad. Keep in mind these tests do not load test the starter and will not tell you if it is strong enough to push over the engine. Bench tests only test its ability to spin freely. We suggest replacing the starter.

Recommended services
Get a Quote