Q: I have to replace the alternator on a 2007 Acura TSX - car won't start without replacing it. Car is at the dealership and they ha

asked by on May 04, 2017

Dealership is quoting $526 to replace alternator. Car won't hold charge without this repair, and it is already at the dealership. What are my options?

If you fully charge the battery, you can start the car and drive it home assuming you live close to the dealership. That is a useful option because using YourMechanic’s on-line calculator for your year, make and model, the cost appears to be one-half of what you were quoted. If you have Triple AAA and can get the car towed home for "free", your least cost option is to tow the car home (or, as noted, charge the battery but that assumes you live near the dealership) and have it repaired by a mobile Mechanic dispatched by YourMechanic. If you are electing that option simply use YourMechanic’s on-line quote and scheduling interface. The page to use is the alternator replacement service page. Once on that page, please click on "Get a Quote" and enter your vehicle information (year, make, model). If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.