Q: I have excessive smoke coming from exhaust when I tow my trailer.

My diesel pickup has a recently rebuilt engine. I use it to tow around a 8000 pound trailer. On and off I get extremely excessive white smoke coming from the exhaust. So much that I can't see the cars behind me. It will go away after a while. When im not pulling the trailer I'll get a small cloud of white smoke on and off. Please help.

The cloud of smoke is the engine running colder than normal or having too much fuel in the engine. Check the fuel injection system and see if the fuel injectors are firing correctly. If the fuel system is working properly, then replace or drain the fuel water separator as it is probably full of water from the diesel. Excessive water in diesel fuel will cause the engine to run cooler than normal and make the exhaust smoke excessive white. If you need further assistance with your exhaust smoking white, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I have excessive smoke coming from exhaust when I tow my trailer.