Q: overheating and engine is shaking.

My car has begun overheating. In addition, I am now having a problem when the car is idling. While idling, the car occassionally goes into a phase where the rpms begin to move up to about 2000 and then abruptly drop back to 1500 or so. When the drop happens, the engine looks like it is sort of "popping,." During this phase, both of the radiator fans are non-functional. When the phase ends, the fans both turn back on. This phase comes and goes while the car is idling. What could be happening here?

The condition that is causing the electric fans to come on selectively would be caused by the coolant sensor / switch. The sensor / switch is loosing contact connections causing the connections to the fans to cut off making the fans not work at times. I recommend replacing the coolant temperature sensor / switch.

If you need further assistance with the engine overheating, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.