Q: The car takes about 5 cranks to start and once it does start the car jerks and only idles at about 500 rpm

the car takes about 5 cranks to start and once it starts its idles horrible with engine jerking when i drive down the road it bogs down eventually the rpms shoot up and the car takes off then there is a sputtering noise and it bogs down again even with my foot on the gas.

This is a fuel supply problem. Fuel pressure will be the key indicator for which component of the fuel system isn’t performing as needed. Check to be sure the fuel pump relay is good, and the fuel pump is running continuously.

Make sure the fuel filter isn’t clogged if fuel pressure remains low all the time. If fuel pressure still isn’t coming up to design specification, either the fuel pressure regulator is not closing properly to keep pressure up, or the fuel pump is worn such that it can’t build up adequate pressure.

I would recommend having YourMechanic diagnose this issue, provide an accurate assessment of damage, and estimate the cost of repairs. YourMechanic can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for a proper diagnosis of your starting issue and help you repair the issue as necessary.

• The car takes about 5 cranks to start and once it does start the car jerks and only idles at about 500 rpm