Q: My car shakes when I accelerate above 30 mph.

asked by on September 04, 2016

I am trying to prolong the life of my car as long as possible. When I take it to Volkswagen they always tell me I need about 1000 dollars worth of work and they have ripped me off before. I don't want to have to pay someone for a full diagnostic of my car just to figure out what is wrong. My car shakes pretty aggressively when I accelerate- typically anything above 30 mph.

Brake Rotor/Disc Replacement $227.65 - $1078.60 Get a Quote
Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $197.63 - $1017.38 Get a Quote
75 Point Safety Inspection Get a Quote

There are many things that can potentially cause your vehicle to shake at that speed. Some of the potential causes of this issue would include but are not limited to tires with cupping wear due to bad shocks, tires are out of balance, brake rotors may be warped excessively, suspension parts may have free play or be broken, or the transmission/cv axles may have an issue. It is even possible that the engine itself may be causing this issue due to a misfire or a faulty mount of some kind.

I would recommend having a full vehicle inspection performed by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, paying particular attention to the tires, brakes, and suspension. Once this inspection has been performed, the mechanic will be able to give you a better idea as to what repairs will be required to resolve the issue you are experiencing.