Q: Rattle/banging in front end over bumps?

asked by on April 19, 2017

Whenever I go over a big dip/uneven road in the road usually at low speeds I hear a rattle in the front end, and you can hear it rattle a lot down bumpy roads or uneven roads like dirt. I've done both endlinks, sway bar bushings, new ACDelco brand new ready mount struts. Could it be coming from the control arm bushings most likely? The rattle sounds like something hitting something, the same sound I'm hearing is like a worn out sway bar bushing as you go over bumps.

Clunking noise when I drive over bumps Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Tracing down a rattle can be frustrating. It takes a process of elimination, and tests to every part of the suspension, steering, and wheel assemblies. You are correct in wanting to test the control arms next, and you will want to focus on the bushings for the control arms in particular. Luckily that is mostly a visual inspection. If you have not performed a bounce test, then go to each fender above the tire and bounce the vehicle up and down in an attempt to replicate the noise. You may also then want to raise the vehicle to perform more tests. From there you can manipulate the wheels back up and down, and in and out. The goal is to find out if something is touching or loose. Last but not least, you need to inspect the engine mounts. For more help with testing or resolving the noise, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.