Q: when car is running, squeaking is coming from the right side of the car when idle

asked by on June 17, 2017

When the car is on, and idle, there is a squeaking noise coming from the passenger side of the car, under the hood. When accelerating it squeals after and continues if idle. Does it need a new serpentine belt?

A quick diagnostic can be performed by simply taking all of the belt driven accessories out of the picture by disconnecting the drive belt(s) and then very briefly running the engine. If the sound disappears, the faulty component is then isolated amongst the accessories and pulleys and, yes it could be the belt, too. If the sounds does not disappear, that means the noise originates within the engine and/or transmission. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.