Q: Spraying throttle body cleaner into throttle body while engine is running

This is probably a dumb question. I just changed the IAC valve and while I did that, I tried to clean out the throttle body on my 97 Ford Ranger w/ 4.0 V6. I sprayed throttle body cleaner down the throttle bore while the engine was running. I didn't remove it from the engine and the engine was running. Did I do something stupid? Because now it has a rough idle when it starts up, but when it warms up it runs fine.

The engine running rough for a moment after using throttle body cleaner is a normal symptom. This should only last for a short period of time and then go away. If the issue does not go away after a few start ups or a short drive, it is possible that the throttle position sensor or mass air flow sensor could have been damaged as a result of using the throttle body cleaner. Many throttle body cleaners will specify if they are sensor safe. IF the throttle body cleaner is not sensor safe, one of the sensors may be fouled out. I would recommend having a drivability inspection performed on your vehicle to determine the exact cause if this issue persists. Consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to determine the cause of this issue.

3. Spraying throttle body cleaner into throttle body while engine is running