Q: I have a no crank ignition situation. Dash lights come on as well as dome lights.

Just returned from a long drive from Portland OR to Seattle WA area. Jeep sat for two days. Went to start it up and no crank at all. Don't believe it's battery related because I have dash lights and dome light, plus no activity at all with crank. No attempted turn over, just nothing. I had a similar situation with an 2005 Ford Explorer and it ended up being the ignition column actuator. Wondering if this sounds like a reasonable assumption. Also I have off and on had an issue with I believe the throttle position sensor. I did see a code pop up on the dash of P0122. I didn't think that sensor would cause a complete no crank situation though.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The throttle position sensor typically gives symptoms of rough idle, poor acceleration, surging, and other running conditions. If it has completely failed, it would cause a no-start situation. You may want to attempt jump starting the vehicle anyway, as the battery often has enough power to turn on electronics, but not to engage the starter solenoid. You can also test for voltage at the starter, and make sure the connection is clean, dry, and tight. There is also a starter relay in the fuse box that must be in good condition. Check all of these basic components before jumping to replacing or testing the ignition. While it is not impossible for them to fail, the other components associated with the starting system are far more likely to go out first. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• I have a no crank ignition situation. Dash lights come on as well as dome lights.