Q: I have a new battery in my car 2006 Dodge Stratus 2.7L can I fix the alternator if it's not working

My car is draining power and it shut off while I was driving on the freeway also I was told it was the alternator. If so can I fix the alternator I don't have a lot of money.

The alternator is an electrical system component. To work on the electrical system, be sure to disconnect the battery. Prior to replacing the alternator, you should measure the output of the existing alternator to be sure it is really faulty. There are other types of failures in a car’s electric system, such as parasitic loads and high resistance, poor connections, not to mention a faulty drive belt, that can make it appear as if the "charging system" is faulty. In any event, if you do not have an actual and complete diagnostic of the problem in hand, it may in fact be less costly in the long run to have a professional look at what you have and make only the required repairs. If you want a diagnostic and repair performed on a mobile basis, which is the least costly basis, please request a charging system diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this problem you are having promptly resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.