Q: What type of gasoline should I use?

What type of gasoline should I use?

A: Your car runs on gasoline. This is what’s b...

Your car runs on gasoline. This is what’s burned to provide power for turning the wheels. However, not all gas types are created equal. Your engine is rated to use gas with an octane rating of 87 or higher (87-octane gas is generally called “regular”). However, be aware that some service stations sell “regular” gas that is lower than 87-octane. Check the sticker at the pump before filling up. Using low-grade gasoline can cause engine knocking and other problems, including loss of power.

Tips

• Never use full ethanol in your car. Your engine cannot use it (conventional ethanol/gasoline blends are fine).

• Never put diesel fuel in your tank – this can leave you stranded on the side of the road. Your engine cannot burn diesel.

• Never use leaded gas.

• Your automaker recommends the use of detergent fuels.

• When using blended gas, don’t use more than 10% ethanol mixes.