Q: Oil leaked out, van ran hot and radiator had a leak oil was splattered everywhere and backed up into the coolant jug 2002 Ford E350 Super Duty

asked by on March 22, 2017

What could be wrong? My van leaked water and oil and ran hot, oil was splattered everywhere got oil in coolant jug got heads checked they was OK, what could be wrong?

Hello - I suspect you will find blown head gaskets based on the oil in the coolant" observation, with indications of extremely high pressure coming into the cooling system. Hopefully the determination you have that cylinder heads themselves were not damaged, will hold, and no cracks in the block will be found as well. Check compression - and look for low compression on adjacent cylinder or a hissing sound from the radiator cap area as compressed gases follow the leak. I recommend a overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The first issue that comes to mind is a blown head gasket. This would allow the coolant and the oil to mix, but less often results in an exterior leak. This means the head gasket needs to be replaced, and in the process we need to check for other signs of damages to the engine. The oil and the coolant will both need to be replaced as well. The cooling system should be flushed out before it is refilled. Make sure you change the oil filter as well. For more help with repairing the damages and checking for any other issues, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.