Q: High idle 2001 Honda CR-V

Hi, my car has been over idling lately & i had a machanic do a tune up recently, i made the mistake of not asking for the parts afterwards! This shouldn't of happened if my spark plugs were just changed & are new right? Or would it still occur after having my car tuned up? Thank u in advance..

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi There, What you are describing may be a result of a vacuum leak. High idle speeds or in some cases rough idle, stalling and hissing sounds are common signs of a vacuum leak. When a vacuum leak is present in an engine, this causes an excessive imbalance in the air/fuel ratio which creates a loss of power and causes the motor to run at a much higher RPM as a result of the increased oxygen present in the fuel charge being injected into the motor. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vacuum leak as these can be very difficult and time consuming to trace.

Hi there - the first task is to check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is illuminated or not. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free on a time-available basis. Your symptoms suggest either an idle control valve problem (or air leak in the intake), or a malfunctioning throttle position sensor (TPS). The TPS problem should cause the Check Engine light to come on, but the idle air issue might not. I recommend a high engine idle performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.