Q: I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima and have been told the valve covers are plastic, so they have to be replaced. They cannot replace jus

My 2006 Maxima has an oil leak and I've been told by the repair shop who was told by their parts supplier that the valve covers are plastic and they can't replace only the gaskets, but both covers have to be replaced. Is that right? I've seen Maxima valve cover gaskets for sale online.

Hi there. As far as I’m aware, the valve covers on a V6 3.5 Liter Nissan engine are made of steel and not plastic or a polymer. If the valve cover was a strong polymer (or plastic), the valve cover gasket would still be separate from the OEM valve cover and could be replaced. However, the spark plug O-rings inside the valve cover are not replaceable, so it is recommended to replace the valve cover and gasket at the same time. This video should explain what I’m talking about.

3. I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima and have been told the valve covers are plastic, so they have to be replaced. They cannot replace jus