Q: I have a 2003 Durango, I rebuild the whole engine and cooling system but still overheats when Im in a stop or in slow traffic

I took the whole engine out of the truck and sent to the machine shop the heads and the block, the pistons rings and all the rod and crankshaft bearing were replaced also the water pump and oil pump, radiator, fan clutch, and radiator hoses. The truck runs great but only in slow traffic and when I'm completely stop like in a stop light or drive thru it starts to overheats once I start moving again or gaining speed it goes back to normal What can cause the overheating?

Hi there. Typically an overheating problem is caused by either a restriction of coolant flowing through the cooling system or the radiator fan not cooling the radiator. In most cases, when people completely rebuild an engine, they will replace the entire cooling system such as the radiator, water pump and cooling lines. But, one item that often gets overlooked is the heater core. The coolant from your motor circulates through the heater core to supply heat to the heating system. This can become clogged with debris rather easily. I would start by flushing your entire coolant system, bleeding the coolant system correctly based on Dodge’s recommendations and inspect that heater core. You can also have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a car is overheating inspection.

3. I have a 2003 Durango, I rebuild the whole engine and cooling system but still overheats when Im in a stop or in slow traffic