Q: Please help car has a skip and slows up when trying to gain speed

asked by on September 17, 2016

My 2001 lincoln town car executive has a skip. Things I have replaced on it

alternator Intake manifold with thermostat 8 new ignition coils New battery New water pump.

What could it be

If I understand your question correctly, when you say it has a skip, I assume you are saying it has a misfire. With new ignition coils installed we can reasonably assume this is not the problem. The other issue may be a question of power getting to the coils from the ECU. I would suggest checking the power from the ECU to the coils. Also, if the condition persists after replacing the ignition coils, I would suggest checking for trouble codes in the computer as these would likely register in the event that there are other issues causing the misfire. If you find you are needing assistance with this, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your home to diagnose with a scanning tool which will download critical info from the car’s computer indicating specifically what is causing the misfiring issue.