Q: Engine overheating - 1994 Mercury Capri

I have troubles with the engine that's been overheating. I installed a new water pump recently. When I start the car and the engine is cool, everything is fine. The issue seems to occur in the stop-and-go traffic. Also, if I drive for a while then park the car and continue driving shortly after, the engine warms up and I experience problems. At that point I have to run the heater in its full power. Do you have any idea what I might do to prevent the engine from overheating?

Hello. I usually start by checking to see if the thermostat is opening as it should and see if the engine cooling fan is functioning. If the fan is not turning on, then that needs to be repaired. If the fans is coming on and if the thermostat is opening, then it may have a blown head gasket. A block test would need to be done to verify if this is the problem. If you are looking to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating problem and help move forward with a repair.