Q: I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with a blown head gasket. I put some thing called fiberlock that is a head gasket

asked by on March 23, 2018

My Truck has a blown head gasket I just found out. Someone put in a chemical called FiberLock for Head & Gasket repair to seal it. I was told different stories. 1st that that only repairs my problem temporary, 2nd that it does repair my problem permanently. Which answer is the correct one? My blown head gasket I was told in its early stages and can be repaired by this stuff. Is this also fact or fable? Please help. Thank You, Darlene l

Darlene: It is a fable. The only approved repair for a head gasket leak on your vehicle, according to the exhaustive instructions provided by Ford Motor Company in the Factory Service Manual, is to remove the old gasket and replace it with a new one. In the course of that replacement, careful measurements have to be made to confirm that the head and block are flat enough such that once the new gasket is applied, there will be no leaks. There is no other approved repair method or procedure however there are innumerable aftermarket vendors of unapproved, quick fixes, most of which vendors make all sorts of claims sufficiently rosy enough to "convince" you to buy their "sealants". Although head gasket replacement can be somewhat costly, and you have the accompanying task of finding someone to actually perform the work properly, the technical reality of automobiles is such that gasket replacement is required if you have a leak. If there were even a remote chance of a quick, painless, less costly fix, believe me I would let you know and I would use the technique myself. But, there isn’t. On a limited basis, YourMechanic professionals in certain locales do perform head gasket replacements. Please inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.