Q: Shaky car/steering wheel

I was told my car needed brakes & rotors was given a quote for about 400.00 for both, but am gonna have a family member do the work, just to buy the stuff, bit don't know what to buy

A: It would depend on what the quote stated as...

It would depend on what the quote stated as the problem. I do not like taking risks with anyone’s brakes. For most brakes you would need quality brake pads (avoid cheap ones), brake rotors for both sides, brake caliper slide lube and brake cleaner. This is a typical front brake job, if there is no problems with the calipers or caliper slides. If you change your mind about whom shall perform the repairs, a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can source the correct parts and come to your home or office to perform these services.