Q: Why do my front brakes make a squealing sound?

asked by on December 14, 2015

Why do my front brakes make a squealing sound?

Hearing a squealing from the front of the car when you press the brake pedal? Don’t worry – it’s normal. Nissan pads (and most of those used by other automakers out there) come with a metal tab that’s designed to lightly contact the brake rotor and make a squealing sound when the pad material gets low. That’s your sign it’s time to have your brake pads replaced and possibly have your rotors resurfaced. If you’re hearing this sound, have your pads checked soon.

Tip

It’s normal to have some brake noise (squeaking and the like) from good brake pads, so make sure you know the difference between normal operation and the wear indicator striking the rotor.