Q: I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with 123,000 miles on it. Had to have it towed home after it died. Won't stay running.

I have a 2000 chevy silverado 4x4 ive had on a service. Engine soon about a month and resently it died out like. Out of gas it boged and poped had to have it towed home and i tried changing the fuel filter and no luck still the same. I can hear the pump prime any idea whats wrong

A: Hi there. Have you checked for any problem ...

Hi there. Have you checked for any problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not? Those codes, if any, will expedite accurate diagnosis and lower cost to repair.

I would check the fuel pump relay. The contacts in them can burn, in which case, they will run the pump (often poorly) for a few seconds, but can't keep it running because the contacts get hot and won't pass current.

This could also from a fuel restriction or failed fuel pressure regulator. If spritzing some starter fluid allows you to start the engine for a brief moment, that confirms it's a fuel supply/pressure issue.

A failed crankshaft or cam position sensor are candidates if there is not spark at the plugs.

To have this all scoped out, I recommend having a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the stalling problem so that this can be repaired correctly.