Q: I have a 1999 Ford Escort. It will start but won't come out of park unless the ignition lights come on?

I have a 1999 Ford Escort. It will start but won't come out of park unless the ignition lights are on. Have to keep playing with the key to get it to work. What could this be????

Hi there. The most likely cause, for the problem you are experiencing is a faulty ignition switch. Another possibility, is a faulty shift interlock solenoid or faulty brake light switch keeping the shift handle in the park position. I recommend having your vehicle’s shifting problem diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. I have a 1999 Ford Escort. It will start but won't come out of park unless the ignition lights come on?