Q: I have a 1997 Mercedes-Benz and the kill switch is on , I have a very old key how do I start the car ?

I have a 1997 Mercedes-Benz and I do not have a up to date key . The car is not starting the windows aren’t rolling down or anything

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Most 1997 MB models use a "smart key". If you are not in possession of the key that came with the vehicle, you will have to obtain a replacement from the dealer or find a locksmith that has an appropriate programmer to code a new key to the vehicle. In some cases, the immobilizer can be bypassed temporarily and you can try these instructions and see if any of the listed techniques work. Another option is YourMechanic can dispatch a certified mechanic to implement the required diagnostic steps (including procuring a key if that is the issue) to get your vehicle running. That diagnostic would ensure that your issue actually relates to the immobilizer as opposed to perhaps another cause of the no start. If you desire that service, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I have a 1997 Mercedes-Benz and the kill switch is on , I have a very old key how do I start the car ?