I have a 1997 Mazda Miata with an automatic transmission....

Q: I have a 1997 Mazda Miata with an automatic transmission. I recently had new timing belt, pully and timing belt covers installed.

asked by on July 19, 2017

I recently had a new timingbelt, pully and timing belt covers installed. Now it wants to stall when I start it, stall in Drive and Reverse. It also has little power to get going in order to shift. It vibrates like crazy when I am stopped in Drive. My exhaust , muffle has gotten very loud.

Hi there. One of the most common problems that occurs when major repairs is that often a minor component is disconnected and not properly installed. The symptoms you are describing are common with a vacuum leak. An engine requires a vacuum system to keep a constant pressure inside the motor to maintain a solid and consistent idle. When a vacuum line is not attached correctly or is damaged, it tends to cause the symptoms you are describing. It would be a good idea to have a different mechanic come to your location to complete a car shaking inspection so they can correctly diagnose this problem and recommend the right repairs.