Q: I have a 1996 chevrolet 1500 with a 350 tbi engine swap, it constantly stutters and randomly shuts off

Alright, I have a 1996 chevorlet 1500, the truck originally came with the 350 vortec engine but my grampa done a engine swap with a 350 tbi from an earlier model. The truck constantly stutters and dips in RPM's and randomly shuts off. I think this is because the computer in the truck is made for the Vortec, not the tbi. I need a second opinion on this and I need some advise on how to fix it because it will become my daily driver once I get it running right.

A: The two engine blocks should be the same bu...

The two engine blocks should be the same but this is where the similarity stops. You may need to swap over the entire engine harness and computer to make this work, but your Grandpa has it running so he may have done this. You also may have two different fuel pump pressures depending on the years of both vehicles since the throttle body injectors have poppet valves that tend to stick or will not open if the pressure is too low. Try to have the fuel injectors cleaned out to see if they are just sticking.

The TBI has many more problems than the Vortec has. These project swaps can be a never ending problem when two different year engines with totally different types of fuel injection are used. Even the sensors are different and can vary. Just try and clean the injectors and scan the computer to see if you keep getting failure codes for sensors on the engine then you may have to get the different control module for the new engine. You may then have issues with the transmission and engine not communicating. You may be able to swap the intake manifolds from the two engines along with any other outside component that is different. This would make the engine into a Vortec engine from the TBI. Before doing this change you will need to make sure the heads are the same for both engines. Like I said before, these swaps can be a problem. I recommend having a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to go over your vehicle and diagnose your car's stalling issue more thoroughly.