Q: Truck cranks but won't start - 1997 Chevy C1500

I have a 1997 Silverado with the 4.3 vortec motor. About 2 weeks ago my son was driving it and the way he explained it was the engine completely died on him, causing his guages to malfunction and his steering wheel to lock up. I had it towed to my house and started going through the normal checks; fuses, relays, spark, compression, fuel....etc. I found that the fuel pump was out. So, after replacing the fuel pump and filter, it still would not fire, it will crank but no fire. I then rechecked the fuese, relays and so on. I found that the ignition coil was out, so after replacing it, still no fire. I have replaced the crank shaft sensor after talking to a reputable mechanic that has a shop not far from me. Now, I still have no fire, it cranks, but won't fire. I can't figure out the problem. I now have spark, fuel and compression but the truck won't start? I have had the alternator tested and it passed with no problems, the battery checks out and is good. My relays all have voltage.

A: It sounds like you may have an intermittent...

It sounds like you may have an intermittent electrical problem. I would recommend having all of the wiring that is in your fuel system checked to ensure that it is all in good condition. If any wiring has any damage at all related to the fuel system such as the fuel pump relay and the main fuse. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose the starting issue if you need further assistance pinpointing the problem.