Q: 2005 Mazda6 hard to start

asked by on February 05, 2016

My car starts, but only after a few attempts. When the engine first starts, it vibrates before settling down. Only then can it move forward. Once I do get it started, it won't go over 40 MPH. If I let the car sit for longer than four hours, it does the same thing all over. My Check Engine light is on as well.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Since the Check Engine Light is on then I would typically need to scan the computer for codes to see what the computer is seeing as a fault. This is the best way to start the diagnostic on this problem. From what you are explaining though, it sounds like there may be an issue with the crank position sensor, or it may be a fuel pressure issue. It can also be caused by a failing catalytic converter, but this is not as common. Knowing the codes in the computer would definitely help as it gives you a place to start. I recommend having a mechanic inspect your Check Engine Light and determine what is causing the car’s starting issues.