Q: What kind of oil should I use?

asked by on December 11, 2015

What kind of oil should I use?

You should use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr

My truck acts like it wants to stall when in drive but not when accelerating

what happens if you add a lead substitute to an engine that run premium unleaded?

You should not add any lead replacements in this engine since the pistons and valve train is designed to not use it or need it. Lead was used to cool and lubricate the valves in older engines from the 60...

My cooling fan won't turn on when I turn the ac on. Relays and fuses are good, tested the fan with the battery and it came on??

Hi there. In general, a situation like this occurs when either the thermostat housing or temperature sensor is not relaying the information to the fan motor to activate. However, it's also possible that there is some electrical short within the...

White smoke from exhaust cold start up

Hi There, Generally, a white or gray colored smoke is a sign of a potential blown head gasket. A blown head gasket can cause a bit of a vapor to be produced due to the coolant being leaked into the...

What kind of transmission fluid do I need for a BMW 525i 2007 ?

Hi There, The transmission in your BMW 525i is what is called a "sealed unit" which means that the transmission should not ever need to be flushed or have the fluid changed. This means that in the event you may...

The EPS indicator came on when I started my 2007 Honda Fit.

Yes, you should. There may be a problem with something as simple as a position sensor or there can be an intermittent fault from the electronic motor that give you the power steering assist. The warning like came on and...

My truck was getting codes of P0300 & P0420 & P0430. My truck can't go over 40/45MPH without jerking 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe

Hello - the first task is to check problem codes to see if the P0300 (misfire) code is still present, or others. If so - which seems to be what your description indicates - you may have ignition coil, crankshaft/camshaft...

My car is running hot

I would recommend checking for smoke coming from your exhaust. Since you are not able to find a leak and you are positive that the coolant is not mixing with the oil, it is very likely that your engine is...

Too much oil in air tube

Hello. Some oil in the intake is normal. If there is a lot of oil then there may be something wrong. I usually clean the PCV system first to see if it is dirty and replace any worn parts. If...