Q: I had my 2002 ford expedition put on the machine in May of this year because my check engine light was on. And they said it was re

My check engine light was on in May and I had it put on a machine and they told me it was reading evap they said it was a possibility I may need a new gas cap but I am noticing there's oil spots in my driveway and sometimes I smell a burning smell when I'm driving the car and when I park it smoke comes from the front of the hood I just had an oil change in May could that be a possible oil leak

If the check engine light is still on, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can get that resolved in the course of a check engine light diagnostic. With regard to the oil leak(s) and the odor, yes, they are likely connected. If oil leaks on hot engine parts, it will burn off and create a really distinct odor. Almost every older car has oil leaks. Sealing technology has just not kept up with mechanical improvements to engines so much so that leaks often kill engines rather than mechanical problems. So, it is not unexpected at all to have an, indeed many, oil leaks on a 15 year old car. Oil leaks vary hugely in terms of severity and priority of repair. Oil leaking onto a hot engine manifold is the worst case (the oil can start a fire; at best, you are left breathing oil fumes in the cabin, as the oil burns off of the manifold) while de minimus seepage of oil at the oil drain plug or oil pan gasket, while annoying and messy, if limited enough is not an emergency. Some leaks are easy to repair, while others literally require the engine to be removed just to get physical access to all the leak points. In your circumstance, although the possibility of an oil leak should definitely be evaluated (especially if it turns out to be one of the easier to fix ones), if it is only a couple drops overnight it is not an emergency. But, do get it checked out. If you desire, a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, can perform an oil leak diagnostic and then let you know of your repair options and costs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I had my 2002 ford expedition put on the machine in May of this year because my check engine light was on. And they said it was re