Q: I currently have a 2000 Chev Cavalier Z24 2.4. Could I put my motor into a 2001 Cavalier that's a 2.2?

My car is rusted out bad. So much so, that I jacked it up to change a tire, and it shattered the side back window! To make it worse, we just hit a deer. There is another 2.2 Cavalier for sale that I was thinking about buying with a good body. Are the motors interchangeable? If they are, would it be a lot of extra work like wiring, etc? Is it worth it?

Yes it’s possible, and yes it would be a lot of extra work. You would need to swap over the engine and transmission, along with the entire wiring harness and powertrain control modules as well. You should also check if the fuel pumps are different between the two cars, because the slightly higher performance engine might use a higher flow fuel pump, in which case you would need to swap it over. It’s a lot of work, but it can be done. With 180,000 miles on your engine, it may be a good idea to replace the timing chain with the motor out, to prevent any problems down the road.

3. I currently have a 2000 Chev Cavalier Z24 2.4. Could I put my motor into a 2001 Cavalier that's a 2.2?