Q: Power Hatchback

My car's power hatchback does not stay up. It opens, it gets to the top of the extension rod but then it does not seem to lock in place. After several attempts, it lowers back down and closes. Can you fix this?

The power hatch has a motor and a rod that push the door open, but this device was not designed to hold the weight. There should be lifters or struts mounted to the door and body as well. If they are leaking or worn, they will not support the door when it’s up just like when the strut for the hood fails and the hood will not stay up. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and take a closer look at your power lift-gate to run a few checks and offer a more personal diagnosis.

3. Power Hatchback