Q: I am burning WAY too much gas for the year and maintenance quality of the car

Purchased the vehicle a couple of months ago from a older lady who had let it sit for 13 months. with fresh gas, new spark plugs, new air filter, suspension work, alignment and a new set of tires, I am experiencing an excessive amounts of gas being burn very quickly. No check engine light, no smoke out of the tailpipe, and tires all all properly inflated. I need to know the proper steps I should take to proceed in the diagnostic process. I do all the work myself and am knowledgeable enough to continue work myself. I do appreciate any and all feedback from whoever can help with this car. This is a make or break for me when it comes to keeping the car.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. This may be a si...

Hi, thanks for writing in. This may be a sign of a clogged catalytic converter. As you may already know, the catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When this is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly (think of a backed up sink). When this happens, the engine I forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.