Q: How much to replace engine crank sensor

Driving 30 miles per hour, engine died, brakes, power steering. I heard a noise in very front of car. My husband looked on internet. From all indications, appears to be engine crank sensor.

A: Hello...a Mechanic would have to confirm th...

Hello...a Mechanic would have to confirm the diagnosis by testing the sensor output with either a graphing multi meter or an oscilloscope. It is possible that it is not the sensor itself but rather engine wiring and pin connections to the sensor and/or communication to the PCM (powertrain control module). It is also possible the problem is entirely unrelated to the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). The reason for doing a diagnosis is you could end up replacing a perfectly good sensor only to discover that the problem is a loose wire. If the CPS is bad, they cost in the neighborhood of $50 and labor is approximately 1 hour based on the steps printed in the service manual for the car. YourMechanic would first diagnosis the problem and then repair based on the diagnostic results.