Q: how long does it take to replace a camshaft position actuator solenoid?

asked by on June 20, 2016

my check engine light came on and auto zone says I need to replace camshaft position actuator solenoid. how long can I wait to fix

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

To replace the actuator solenoid for both the intake and exhaust cams takes less than an hour labor to change them out. I cannot answer how long you can wait to change them out since there is nothing to go on, such as the problem you are having or if there is noise in the engine or anything else that may damage the engine for prolonged use without fixing the issue.

I would recommend fixing this as soon as possible and not driving the vehicle until it is fixed unless you have to. Just because you got a code to the solenoid does not mean you should not get the code diagnosed by a professional mechanic before making a repair. The code is only an indicator to guide you to an area that has a problem and a pinpoint test will isolate the cause of the code. I have seen codes to the variable valve control system be nothing but the use of the wrong viscosity oil. Have the Check Engine Light code diagnosed further by a technician to ensure that the appropriate repair is made.