Q: Why does my alarm go off when I hold the brake down?

My Saab has had electrical issues ever since I got it but today WHILE IM DRIVING IT I pulled up to a red light and stopped. Suddenly the alarm went off. I panicked and turned off the car, started it again but the alarm continued. My light turned green and I was forced to keep driving. Maybe two seconds after I let off the gas and the car idled forward the alarm stopped. Everything was normal again. Until the next red light. This happened at every stop that was for more than a second or two. Once I was at school I parked the car to see if giving it gas turned the alarm off. Nope. I reved the engine in park and the alarm kept blaring, but the moment I let it back in drive and allow the car to move it went silent again. What the hell is wrong with it?

Hi there. It sounds like the batteries in the alarm siren need changing. The alarm siren is located behind the wheel arch liner and easy to get to if you remove one side of the liner. The alarm siren has two batteries soldered onto the circuit board and are meant to last the life of the siren, but they don’t and typically start failing when the car is about 8 years old. Get a soldering iron and replace the batteries, but be careful not to burn the batteries. I recommend replacing the siren as a unit. If you need further assistance with your car alarm not shutting off, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.