Q: How do you use the seat belts correctly?

How do you use the seat belts correctly?

A: The first rule of safety on the road is to ...

The first rule of safety on the road is to use your seat belt. It’s a lifesaving device and even the advanced air bags in your car can’t substitute for it. However, you do have to use it the right way. Here’s how:

1. Sit as far back in the seat as possible.

2. Sit as far from the dash or steering wheel as you can.

3. The shoulder belt should cross your chest and then pass over your shoulder. Never wear it in any other position.

4. The lap belt should sit over your hips, never on your stomach or thighs.

5. The seat belt should be buckled securely (make sure you hear and feel it lock into place).

6. Never use accessories with the seat belt, including shoulder pads. These can make the belt less functional and reduce your safety.