Q: What does it mean if the Battery Light/Charge warning Light comes on?

What does it mean if the Battery Light/Charge warning Light comes on?

A: The Charge Warning Light, or Battery Light ...

The Charge Warning Light, or Battery Light if you prefer, should turn on and then go off after a few seconds when you first start the engine. If it doesn’t go off or if it comes on while you’re driving, it can indicate a problem with your car’s charging system. Here are the steps to take:

1. Pull over somewhere safe.

2. Turn off the car.

3. Open the hood.

4. Check the alternator belt. It could be broken, or worn so much that it’s slipping on the pulley.

5. If the belt is OK, it may mean that the alternator is not charging the battery. Driving in this situation is not advisable. Have the alternator tested and replaced if necessary.

6. It’s also possible that the problem is the battery. Have the battery tested as well and replaced if necessary.