Q: How do I know the difference between a broken engine mount and an ignition coil that is shot?

I have had three of the four ignition coils replaced. I notice engine knocking that seems to subside after the car warms up. Perhaps this might be resolved with another oil change, synthetic of course. But there is a shimmy at times. The car doesn't seem to have much pick up. How do I know what could be wrong so I don't get ripped off? Wouldn't the engine shake if it wasn't running on all four cylinders? There is no check engine light but it has stalled upon starting twice in the last few days and today felt like it was about to stall while I was stuck in traffic. I shifted into neutral and it idled fine. Once I was moving again, the car ran normal. I use only BP gas but even that could need a can of dry gas. I work with kids with autism and depend on a reliable vehicle. Please tell me what you think could be wrong so I don't get ripped off when I get the car fixed. I am sincerely hoping an oil change and a can of dry gas might be all I need. I need to be prepared for worse case. Thank

Usually when the engine is vibrating while the vehicle is in a forward gear, it’s a good indicator that the motor mounts or bushings are damaged. However, over time, the throttle body on your vehicle might be clogged with excess carbon buildup, which can also produce the same symptoms. The best way to determine for sure which one is causing your issue, is to have a professional mechanic complete a vehicle is vibrating inspection. During this service, they’ll download any error codes that might indicate fuel related issues before checking the condition of the motor mounts. Hopefully this info will help you determine your issue. And thank you for working with kids with autism!

3. How do I know the difference between a broken engine mount and an ignition coil that is shot?