Q: How do I find and identify the ECM module in a 2001 Buick LeSabre?

Mechanic said my car is stalling because he can't get a response from cars computer. That it appears to be the ECM and only a buick dealer can replace and program an ecm. I know that to be false, but I can't find the ecm and identify the exact part number so I can order an replacement.

A: Hello. To answer your location question, th...

Hello. To answer your location question, the ECM is behind the fuse and relay block of electronics under the passenger side of the dash (behind the glove box). The ECM is behind the other electronics, mounted flat against the firewall, and is an aluminum box about the size of a good hardbound book. The part number should be on a decal on the outside of the ECM.

As for your stalling, several problems could cause this. These include a dirty or failed idle air controller, an air leak to the intake system, a dirty throttle body, or an EGR valve stuck (even slightly) open. What problem codes are causing the Check Engine light to illuminate? These should be helpful.

I would recommend having an inspection to determine why the car is stalling completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic.