Q: Q: Car is hard to shift

The car is intermittently hard to shift, and sometimes it won't go into third or fourth gear. I had the transmission flushed recently, and it was rebuilt 18 months ago. I also had readings for the check engine light done.

I am assuming you have an automatic transmission because you had it flushed. Hard to shift issues can be caused by a bad cable that goes from the shifter to the transmission shift lever, The cables will get dirty and start to bind over time. The repair is simple, and requires replacement of the cable.

The shifting issue is a completely different issue. Shifting problems can be caused by low line pressure, bad shift solenoids, or clutch slippage to name a few. If you had it recently rebuilt, and still have a warranty, I suggest you take it back to have it inspected there first since most repair facilities wont honor a warranty once another mechanic disassembles their work.

3. Q: Car is hard to shift